Sunday, August 14, 2011

Comfort Food

Cooked up a batch of Spaghetti Bolognaise (Bolognese?? How the heck do you spell it?!) and it's ohhhh so good. Haven't had it in quite awhile now. For the life of me, I have no idea WHY I didn't cook it sooner. I'd forgotten just how much I love the blend of flavours from using oregano, thyme, coriander, sweet paprika, black pepper, beef, mushrooms, onions, garlic and tomato paste. And there's just something about oregano that ALWAYS makes me start salivating and feeling hungry.You'd think it was poppy and I'm a heroin addict, the way I smother my Italian-inspired dishes with the herb. Sure, I'll throw in a good dose of thyme, rosemary and other herbs. But somehow, oregano gets a double shake. And I just had a horrible realisation. I left out Bay Leaf from my Bolognaise! THAT explains why it tastes slightly off.

Anyway...oregano. Love it! And my dinner was still bloddy good.


I had it with Angel Hair Pasta instead of normal Spaghetti pasta. Angel Hair cooks alot faster, and I was hungry (which explains why there's no pic of the dished up serving). Started prep at 6pm, so it was ready to eat only at 7.30pm. Chopping, dicing, mincing the garlic, onions and mushrooms. Sauteing onions, garlic and herbs, cooking off beef mince, simmering to render fat, draining fat, pouring in tomato paste and mushrooms, simmer, stirring occasionally, simmer somemore while pasta cooks. Yeah. 1.5hrs from the time I picked up the knife till I sat down to eat. Guess that's why I didn't cook it sooner. Cooking proper meals for one can be such a chore sometimes. On the up-side, when I do cook quasi-elaborate dishes, I usually make enough to either freeze or refrigerate for at least 2 more serves.

Now to wash up and scoop myself some Bulla Creamy Classics Rich Chocolate Chip ice cream. To be enjoyed with a steaming hot cup of strong tea.

No comments: